I made a new website!

So why change?

I had a stock Wordpress website but I didn’t really need the power or cost of the hosted LAMP stack behind it. So I gave myself a lockdown project of rebuilding it. I also wanted to reduce the complexity, make the site faster and less complex.

I’ve also witnessed how the web is changing to become less friendly and bulkier with the rise in tracking technologies. Because of this an additional goal was to make the site with no javascript or cookie banners if possible. Just good old HTML and CSS.


This article and the code examples within were written in 2014 for SQL Server 2008 R2. Please test the code to make it works as expected if using a newer version of SQL Server

I work with Microsoft SQL Server everyday and have been developing scripts to monitor such things as database growth and the amount of free HD space on each of the systems.

The code I have records HD space stores the DBID of each database next to each recording so I can track growth over time. “Sounds fine so far” you say. So did I…

When developing some code to report on the data collected I noticed that there were several databases where the sizes had changed after a period of having zero size.

Further investigation showed that MSSQL had reused IDs that belonged to databases I’d previously deleted. Doh! I needed a better way of differentiating between the databases I was monitoring.


After getting the Xbox HD connected to my Windows 7 PC it was now time to get any game saves and content from it.

Before I started the recovery from my dying hard drive I needed somewhere to put it. All I had available at the time was a 16GB USB Memory Stick which I formatted on the Xbox as an Xbox Storage Device.


Don’t put all your saves in one Eggs-box :(

My Xbox 360 slim started behaving strangely the other day. I’d just bought some new games and was going through the process of installing them to the HD. Half way through the install the Xbox crashed and I was back at the profile select screen.

I deleted the half installed game files and tried again. It still crashed and I was back at the profile select screen. This time selecting my profile would cause the Xbox to reset. I tried a different profile and it reset. Even accessing the system menus without selecting a profile would cause it to reset 🙁 As soon as there was HD access the Xbox would die.


This post follows on from my earlier one where I opened up my broken TP-Link TL-PA211 Powerline Ethernet adaptor ready to replace the faulty capacitor.

The repair didn’t take very long and was quicker than dismantling the adaptor! To fix the unit you’ll need the following:

  • A soldering iron (I have this one)
  • Solder (not sure what type mine is)
  • Some way of removing the old solder (De-soldering pump or braid. I used braid)
  • Some flux to clean up the hole after removing the old solder
  • A replacement capacitor.